Things I will miss when I die
Crawling into fresh sheets
Texting my brother
That satisfied feeling you get when you finally break through the ice with someone
Things I won’t miss when I die
The insane amount of paper work required in Germany
things i will miss about california
- the color of the ocean at sunset
- the mountains
- the sense that so many people’s dreams are made here
- year-round tans
- malibu canyon
- my older brother
- my cousins
- driving along the coast with the windows down
- liberal attitudes
- colorful people
- the fact that there’s no one ‘prescribed lifestyle’
- tiny spanish bungalows
- the lack of bugs
things i won’t miss about california
- the traffic
- the 405 at any time of day
- the 101
- did i mention the traffic?
- the lack of eye contact
- the crazy fast-paced hustle/business
- those toned people who only eat fruits and vegetable supplements
- crappy public transportation
- six dollar lattes
Things I would tell my freshman self
- do your laundry. often.
- don’t buy into the hype that all college students have to stay up late.
- maybe only drink two cups of coffee a day. three if absolutely necessary.
- all-nighters are never a good idea.
- things will get easier. you will make friends, just be patient.
- only say yes to the things you really care about.
- tell your roommate you appreciate her. she really is a good one.
- procrastination is not trendy.
- abroad will be incredible. savor it.
- stop dying your hair red.
Memories from the last four years
- When my brother and I found out we were both going to be RA’s for the coming year at the same time.
- The night Sarah and I drove down the coast and watched the sunset from the trunk of my car.
- When Jake and I rode bikes back from a party in Heidelberg and made a late night pit stop for crepes.
- All the times Sean and I wrote together at Cafecito Organico.
- That one night under the old bridge drinking Starbucks hot chocolate with Conner.
- Star gazing with Aaron at Gemünden.
- Finding out I got the Fulbright.
- Eating a traditional Syrian brunch with Omer in his apartment.
- Sipping German beer on Adele and Helea’s roof in Frankfurt.
- Griffith Observatory with Isaac.
- Lazy mornings with my little munchkin Winnie.
- Playing soccer with Aerick.
- Goofing around in Sue’s garden for hours.
- When I had my first dream in German (!).
- Hanging with Mike and the RealityLA crew.
Ten Pieces of Advice to My Former Self
- Drink more water, alright?
- Get an old fashioned alarm clock. A phone is just not the same.
- Bangs are a big life commitment. Think long and hard before taking the leap.
- Sometimes it’s okay to spend money on yourself. As Tommy Haverford would say, “Treat yourself!”
- Stop checking Instagram ten times an hour. Definitely not productive.
- Apply for things you think are ‘above you.’ You never know– why not you?
- Call your family members often.
- Read voraciously. The world belongs to those who read.
- Write, even when you think it’s crap, just keep writing.
- You have a nice laugh. Use it often.