Once in a while, I like to write down all the little things in life that sum up to my overall happiness (you can read a few past lists here and here). I wrote this list during a particularly rough travel experience I had recently, in which one train home from Amsterdam turned into four trains and a hotel! I. Was. Not. Happy. So I scribbled down this lists of twenty things while in the train station in a last ditch effort to lift my spirits. And you know what? It worked! I realized that even though travel often comes with some unpleasant side effects, I am incredibly blessed to be able to travel in the first place and a few delays are no big deal in the big picture. Friends, if you’re feeling a little down today, I highly suggest you whip out a journal and jot down a happy list- its the cheapest form of therapy around!
1. Quiet mornings in the city before the hustle and bustle starts.
2. Lingering Summer evenings.
3. Discovering a new photographer or blog I love!
4. Skype chats with my parents.
5. Reading a book you just can’t put down.
6. Sipping coffee from my favorite “Heidelberg mug.”
7. Watching my little brother crush it at his internship in Guatemala this summer!
8. Meandering bike rides through the meadow near my house.
9. Mastering a new German word or phrase.
10. When little one year old Julius says my name in his cute German accent.
11. Birthday wishes.
12. Family vacations.
13. Editing my photos.
14. Making short films.
15. Ice cream dates.
16. Wild flowers.
17. When you pick up right where you left off with an old friend!
18. Church potlucks.
19. Kaffee und kuchen (the German tradition of cake and coffee in the afternoon).
20. When my train arrives on time- haha!
Question of the Day
What is one little thing that made you happy today?